Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Hudson River Park

 

Another day, another park discovered! After my weekly volunteer shifts at God's Love We Deliver in the West Village, I usually walk part of the way home to get two or three miles of exercise. (I've only made the entire five mile trip home once on foot.) Last week, instead of taking Fifth, Sixth or Seventh Avenue uptown, I walk west towards the Hudson River and then head north. There I discover Hudson River Park for the first time. It is a gorgeous, sunny day and I'm off on a new adventure! Even though I've lived in Manhattan for about 15 years now, this is my first time here.

Not far along my journey, I explore an unusual garden of boulders. With no signs or plaques that I can see, I admire the structures, but don't comprehend their seemingly mystical import. It must remain a mystery, perhaps to be uncovered at a later time. 


Some of the rocks appear to have lights embedded within. (I'll have to return one day at dusk to experience the full effect.)

One boulder is particularly intriguing, with a half-hidden message.
This sliver of park, between West Street and the Hudson River, presents peaceful vistas of the local flora and fauna.



As I head north, cars pass by on the right, boats on the left.





Remnants of a century-old pier evoke echoes of sailing ships, and a once-bustling commercial harbor.

A nearly empty playground patiently awaits junior adventurers. (It's a weekday afternoon -- Saturdays and Sundays should bring out the gaggles of little ones.)



And I promise to return another day to continue my exploration.





No comments:

Post a Comment