Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Why are my friends and family so weird?


I love my friends and family, honestly I do. But almost every single one of them irritates (or sometimes infuriates) me. Obviously, no one is perfect, not even me, but recently, I've become more aware of the flaws and foibles of those I love.

Maybe it's me -- maybe I'm becoming less tolerant and more crotchety. Or maybe it's the increasingly polarized and hostile environment we live in, especially as November 5 approaches. Or maybe they're all just weird. 

Now as you're reading this, don't try to figure out whether you (my beloved friend or family member) are one of those people to whom I am referring. Are you the one with whom I cannot discuss politics or religion? Are you the one who seems to "know it all" and loves the sound of his or her own voice? Are you and I constantly disagreeing on the most trivial of subjects? Do our conversations, messaging chains or social media exchanges nearly always result in a futile argument?

I've been making a conscious effort to be a better person -- not that I was a bad person previously. Perhaps it's the influence of Ethical Culture, as I've been attending meetings more frequently of late. As noted above, none of us are perfect, and there's always room for improvement. I believe that one is never too old to be open to new ideas and adjust one's attitude and behavior as warranted. 

I've come to realize that analyzing the faults of others is actually a useful exercise, and does not have to generate negativity. Even the act of writing this blogpost has inspired me to look inward, as well as outward. I will continue to examine, adjust, tolerate and reflect on the imperfections in both myself and others. As discussed in my previous blogpost, to do good is my religion, and I will strive to help and inspire others, and to spread love, not discord. 

Peace out.






No comments:

Post a Comment